Saturday, 14 December 2013

# 385 Orange cake

I cannot believe it's almost a month since my last post, the last few weeks just seem to have flown by so quickly. Another volunteer and I have been going to crafts fairs to raise money for the library which has taken quite a lot of our time and then there's all the Christmas related things to do: writing the Christmas cards, posting or hand delivering them, wrapping the presents, putting the decorations up, etc.

Anyway, the other day I was reading this blog post about using leftover egg whites and remembered a cake I made sometime ago. What makes it different from other cakes is that instead of using whole eggs you only use egg whites. This is a very light cake with a lovely orange flavour and a great alternative to meringues next time you want to use up any leftover egg whites.

Hope you like this recipe.


Orange cake

250g caster sugar
190g flour + 1 teaspoon baking powder
125g butter, softened
8 egg whites
Juice of 1 orange (add the zest too if you want)

Preheat the oven to 180 ÂșC and grease and line a loaf tin with baking paper.

In a bowl whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks.

Cream the butter and sugar, then add the flour and juice of the orange and mix just until well combined. Gently fold in the egg whites and pour the mixture into the prepared tin.

Bake for 20-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.

Remove the cake from the tin and cool on a wire rack.

Enjoy.

Paula



PS - I also wanted to say, Blogger seems to be having problems with the links gadget so I cannot include a direct link to my most recent recipes as I used to. The recipes are still listed there but some don't gave a clickable link. I'm sorry about this but as I'm not technology savvy I cannot fix it.