Monday, 18 November 2013

# 383 Tea loaf

The original recipe for this tea loaf is from one of those free recipe cards you often find in supermarkets. I can't remember which supermarket it came but I know it was for a specific brand of tea which I don't use. I made my loaf with my regular tea and the result was great. It's such a shame my husband and son don't like dried fruit in cakes or I'd be making this every other week.

Saying that, a bunch of us are meeting at the library on Wednesday morning for a cardmaking session for fundraising and it's the perfect excuse for me to bake this again.

It goes without saying that a slice of this loaf will go very well with a cup of tea :-)


Tea loaf

3 tea bags
60g mixed dried fruit
60g butter, softened
85g light brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
100g plain flour
1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/4 teaspoon mixed spice

Make a small pot of tea with 3 tea bags and 250ml boiling water. Leave to brew for 10 minutes. Place the dried fruit in a bowl, pour over the tea and leave to soak for at least 1 hour. Drain and reserve the liquid.

Preheat the oven to 180 ÂșC/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line a loaf tin with baking paper.

Cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Gradually add the egg, whisking all the time until well combined.

Fold the dry ingredients into the creamed mixture without over mixing.

Fold in the dried fruit and 4 tablespoons of the reserved tea. Pour the mixture into the tin and bake in the oven for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre of the loaf comes out clean.

Remove from the tin and allow to cool.

Enjoy.

Paula