Tuesday, 21 May 2013

# 351 Shaping bread

When making bread one of the things I struggle with the most is the shaping of the dough especially if I'm planning on baking it in a baking tray instead of a tin. Thanks to Paul Hollywood's Bread on TV I'm finally getting better results when shaping my loaves.

I thought I'd share how I've been doing it in case anyone else has had  the same problem. This is how I do it and so far the results have been great.

So, you've kneaded the dough and it has had its 1st proving. Knock the dough back and tip on to the work surface. Using a rolling pin or the palms of your hands stretch the dough to a rectangle shape.

 Fold the bottom up to the middle and gently press down with your fingetips.


Then fold the top down and again press gently.


Now fold from one of the sides towards the middle, press and then do the same on the other side.


Press the dough with your fingertips or gently roll it out with a rolling pin.


Then start rolling the dough as if it's a roulade, tuck in the ends underneath and place the shaped dough in the tin or baking tray.


Prove for a 2nd time for about 30-40 minutes until increased in size and then bake in a preheated oven.

This is the loaf I made following this method and it looks a lot better than my previous ones when I just placed the dough on the tin or tray and hoped for the best.



Paula