Tuesday, 27 November 2012

# 299 Gingerbread with lemon curd topping

My weekend bake was a first on many levels, first time ever I made and ate gingerbread, used black treacle and lemon curd so I had no idea how this would turn out.

The recipe is from a little book I found at one of the local charity shops for only £1 and it's this one here. I've tried many of the recipes in this book and they were all great.

 

This gingerbread turned out very moist and fluffy and it was so moreish it disappeared very quickly. The only thing I'll try to change next time is to make it slightly less sweet maybe by adding lemon zest.



Gingerbread

150g butter
175g soft brown sugar
2 tablespoons black treacle
225g plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
2 tablespoons ground ginger
150ml milk
1 egg beaten
2 eating apples, peeled and chopped (the recipe called for dessert apples but I used eating apples)

Melt the butter, sugar and treacle in a pan over a low heat. Stir to combine well and once melted leave to cool.

In a bowl mix the dry ingredients. Stir in the milk, beaten egg and the buttery mixture then add the apples and mix everything together gently.

Pour into a tray (I used a brownie tray) lined with baking parchment and bake in a preheated oven to 170ÂșC Gas Mark 3 for 30-35 minutes or until the cake has risen and is cooked through.

Leave to cool in the tin before turning out. Once cool spread lemon curd on top.

Enjoy.


Paula