Friday, 16 November 2012

# 295 Cannelloni


Back in September when I asked my son what he wanted for his birthday lunch he said Cannelloni so that's what I made.

The dried cannelloni tubes I bought needed to be pre-cooked in boiling salted water but this was actually quicker than pre-cooking lasagne sheets because I managed to fit them all in the same pan to cook at the same time..

I allowed 3 tubes per person making it a total of 9 which fit perfectly in my oven dish. To fill the tubes I used some of the slow cooked beef from a previous post but you can also use cooked beef mince if you want, you'll find the recipe for the mince here.

On to the recipe.

Cannelloni

Dried cannelloni tubes
Pre-cooked casserole beef (shredded with a fork or blitzed in a food processor) or beef mince
Bechamel sauce (recipe here)
A little single or double cream

Pre-cook the cannelloni tubes according to the instructions on the packet. While they cook, pour a little single or double cream on an ovenproof dish, just enough to cover the bottom of the dish.

For Cannelloni I like to use a rectangular dish where the tubes fit nicely side by side but if you don't have one you can lay them in layers with a little bechamel sauce in between.

When the cannelloni tubes are cooked, remove them from the pan and set aside on a clean tea towel.

I find this is easier to do using the handle of a wooden spoon. Just pass it through the cannelloni tubes to easily remove them from the pan.

Now you can start filling the tubes. Hold each tube vertically inside the oven dish and spoon the beef into it.

By doing this inside the oven dish any meat that falls out of the tube will be in the sauce anyway and you won't have a mess all over your work surface.

Lay the filled cannelloni tubes side by side or in layers and spread the bechamel sauce on top.

Cook in a pre-heated oven until the topping is golden.



Serve with a green salad and enjoy.


Paula