Tuesday, 10 July 2012

# 240 Chocolate Salami

I just looked up Chocolate Salami on the web and according to Wikipedia this is a traditional Portuguese dessert. I've been making this since I was a child and had no idea!

Anyway, this has got to be one of the easiest sweet treats to make and it's much loved by children and adults alike. There are many versions of this, some people like to include raisins, sugar or condensed milk (my mum makes hers with condensed milk which I find makes it a little too sweet but A. loves it) and even a splash of Port wine but obviously in this case you shouldn't serve it to children!

This is how I make mine, the quantities below are approximate as I don't usually weigh the ingredients for this, instead I keep adjusting the amount of dry and wet ingredients until I have the right taste and consistency (of course, by doing it this way it means you have to do several taste tests, as my son calls them, just to make sure!). The mixture shouldn't be too dry or it will be too crumbly nor too wet as then it will be too sticky. Also I don't add any sugar because I find the instant hot chocolate and the biscuits are already sweet enough.



Chocolate Salami

400g Rich tea or Digestive biscuits
200g instant hot chocolate
150g butter, melted
1 or 2 eggs

Start by breaking the biscuits, you can do this by hand or in a food processor. Leave a few bigger biscuit pieces for crunchiness.

In a bowl, mix the broken biscuits with the instant hot chocolate and mix well, then add the melted butter and 1 egg and mix until well combined (I usually do this with my hands). If the mixture is too dry add 1 more egg if on the other hand it's too wet and sticky add a few more broken biscuits and mix.

Once all ingredients are well combined squeeze the mixture in your hands to see if it holds its shape. Transfer to a pre cut sheet of aluminium foil or greaseproof paper and gently but firmly roll into a salami shape, you can roll it as thick or as thin as you like. Flaten the ends of the salami, roll it tightly in the aluminium foil or greaseproof paper and put in the fridge for a few hours to firm up before slicing and serving.

For children's parties instead of rolling the mixture in a salami shape you can roll little balls between your hands and put them in little paper cases. You can also dip each ball in melted chocolate and decorate with coloured sugar sprinkles.

Chocolate salami shaped into balls, perfect for children's parties.
 
Don't forget this is made with raw eggs, so keep it in the fridge and eat within a day or 2.

Enjoy!


Paula