Monday, 12 March 2012

# 191 Sun Day

I hope you had a lovely weekend, we certainly did especially yesterday. It was sunny and quite warm with temperatures well into 2 figures, at one point the thermometer in the car read 17 ºC outside! It didn't start out all nice and sunny though, when we went for a walk after breakfast there was quite a set mist but fortunately  it soon began to clear away.

Morning mist, almost like a curtain.
Clearing away to reveal a glorious blue sky.
 
 After a 2-hour walk around the Deer Park it was time to return home and get lunch going a Salmon, Prawns and Asparagus Pie of my own invention and which turned out delicious and certainly a dish to be made again.

After lunch we went out again, this time to the nearby village of Purton for a short walk along the canal.



Now for that pie which as I said was my own invention and got thumbs up from both husband and son, although they picked the asparagus out and transfered them to my plate but I didn't mind that, all the more left for me :-)


Salmon, Prawns and Asparagus Pie

1 block of shortcrust pastry
3 salmon filets, cut into thin slices
120g frozen prawns, pre-cooked and peeled
Bunch of fresh asparagus (I used only the heads for this dish)
3 boiled potatoes, cooled and cut into cubes (I used leftover boiled potatoes I had in the fridge)
1 tablespoon butter + extra
1/2 tub single cream
1/2 teaspoon blend of herbs for Salmon (I used Salmon Perfect Shake from Schwartz)
1 tablespoon cornflour


In a pan melt some butter and sauté the heads of the asparagus (I'm keeping the asparagus stalks to use in a soup) together with the boiled potatoes.

Meanwhile roll out the pastry following the instructions on the packet. Line a pie dish with the pastry leaving some of it hanging down the sides.

On the bottom distribute the asparagus and the potatoes, then add the salmon and the prawns. Reserve while you make the white sauce.

In a pan melt a tablespoon of butter, add some of the single cream and the cornflour. Stir with a wooden spoon until it begins to thicken. Add the remaining cream gradually whilst stirring, add the blend of herbs and check the seasoning adding a pinch of salt if needed. You want a thick white sauce.

Spread the sauce evenly over the other ingredients and fold the pastry over the top. Bake in a preheated oven for about 45 minutes or until golden brown.

Enjoy!


Paula

3 comments:

  1. There's nothing quite like a Sunday afternoon stroll through the English country side. I miss that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds glorious! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh, Paula, I clicked on your blog and started salivating the moment I saw the picture of that quiche in your header. You really need to post a warning before you show pictures of such delicious foodstuffs - now there's drool on my keyboard :-))

    ReplyDelete