Friday, 17 February 2012

# 182 Fridays recipes: Lemon cake

Weekends wouldn't be the same in our house without cake, in fact I must admit I'm a bit of a cakeaholic (I think I just made up a new word!). One of my favourite things is a slice of homemade cake and a cup of tea.

I made this lemon cake for the 1st time the other day, it's not the moistest of cakes but goes perfectly with a good cup of tea or coffee if you prefer.

  
Lemon cake

250g butter, softened
250g caster sugar
2 teaspoons lemon zest
4 eggs
350g plain flour
50g cornflour
2 teaspoons baking powder
Juice of half a lemon

Preheat the oven to 180 ºC and line a rectangular cake tin with greaseproof paper.

Beat the butter with the sugar and the lemon zest until creamy. Add the eggs one at a time alternating with spoonfuls of flour and the baking powder, add the lemon juice and mix well.

Pour into the cake tin and bake for 30-40 minutes or until done.

Remove from the oven and allow the cake to rest for about 10 minutes or so. Let it cool on a wire rack.

Cut the cake in half lengthwise and spread some vanilla buttercream (I use shop-bought). Put both halves of the cake back together again and enjoy with a cup of tea or coffee.



Paula


2 comments:

  1. Had I only gotten around to reading your blog sooner, I could’ve used you recipe for our school’s bake sale today. Instead, we used a box mix and made muffins. They turned out quite nice. Just seems like there isn’t enough hours in the day for me to read and comment on the few blogs that I do follow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi paula i have given you an award over on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete