Friday, 27 January 2012

# 175 Fridays recipes: Individual chicken pies

Every Friday I plan my menu for the week ahead and do my shopping accordingly, the part I have most difficulty about is what to send A. in his packed lunch and as if this wasn't enough the husband often needs to take one too. I like them to have something they'll like and I know A. would gladly have sausages every single day but I think variety is important too. These individual chicken pies are perfect both for a family meal served with white rice, vegetables or a salad or eaten on their own when included in a packed lunch. The filling can be cooked from scratch or better still you can use any meat leftovers you might have.

I use my muffin tray which has 12 holes, this gives me enough pies for a meal and then have some extra for their packed lunches the following day.


Individual chicken pies

2 chicken breasts cut into small pieces
A few bacon rashers cut into thing strips
1/2 onion, finely chopped
Olive oil
2 or 3 tablespoons mushroom soup powder
1/2 tub double cream
Block shortcrust pastry
Beaten egg to brush the pastry

Preheat the oven to 180 ºC / gas mark 5.

In a pan soften the onion in a little olive oil, add the bacon and the chicken and allow to cook for a few minutes until it's no longer pink.

Add the double cream and the soup powder, mix well. Add a little boiling water if needed. Check the seasoning and cook for 10-15 minutes over a low heat stirring occasionally.

Roll out the pastry following the instructions on the packet. Cut circles of pastry and line the holes of a muffin tray with them. Fill with the chicken, brush the edge of the pastry cases with the beaten egg and add a pastry lidd.

Press all around the edge of each pie to make sure both the pastry case and the lid stick together. Brush the top with the remaining beaten egg and bake for about 20 minutes or until golden.


Enjoy!



Paula

3 comments:

  1. Oh No!!!!! They look so beautiful! :P I am hungry... :D
    Have a lovely weekend Paula!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no earthly idea you could do that?! Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just adorable - and so cute!

    ReplyDelete