Tuesday, 24 January 2012

# 173 Making Winter: Jam thumbprints

One of my favourite activities on a cold, gloomy Winter day is to bake. The warmth that comes from the oven during baking, the smell of a freshly made cake or batch of biscuits is so, so comforting then add to that a nice, hot cup of tea with a slice of that cake or one of those biscuits and I can't help feeling so much better no matter how bad it is outside.


Lately, these biscuits have been making regular appearances in our biscuit box and are much appreciated by us 3 especially me and A. I've been using the pumpkin jam I made back in November from the flesh of the Halloween pumpkin but obviously you can use any jam you have.

Jam thumbprints

1 large egg
100g sugar (both caster sugar or light brown soft sugar work fine)
100g butter, softened
250g plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
Jam

Preheat the oven to 180 ÂșC.

In a large bowl mix all the ingredients, except the jam, and mix to make a dough.

Make small balls with the dough and place them on a baking sheet lined with greaseproof paper, they will spread a little so don't put them too close together.

With your thumb make an indentation in the centre of each ball and fill with jam. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden. Allow them to cool a little before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Keep in an air tight container.

Enjoy :-)


Notes:

- With this amount of dough I usually fill 2 baking sheets which I put in the oven at the same time, one in the middle rack the other on the bottom.. When the batch in the middle is ready I remove it and swap the bottom baking sheet to the middle rack letting them cook for a few minutes more until golden.

- I found the perfect tool for these biscuits, a potato cutter (photo below) my mum has had for ages and which she no longer uses so I borrowed it. I use the larger end to make the indentations on the dough and the smaller end to measure the jam for each biscuit.






Paula


By the way this post of part of the challenge Making Winter by Silverpebble and Thrifty Household. If you'd like to join in just check their blogs for more information.