Friday, 13 January 2012

# 170 Fridays recipes: Creamy chicken korma

I love collecting recipes for dishes I think we might like, I keep them in 2 binders in A4 plastic pouches. One of the binders contains all the sweet recipes and the other all the savoury ones. This dish is based on one of those recipes taken from the free monthly ASDA magazine, as usual I've adapted it to the ingredients I had at the time leaving out the ones we're not so keen on and including others we like, even the meat I used is slightly different from the one specified on the original recipe (I used chicken instead of turkey!). The recipe below is the one I made, it makes a delicious mild curry with a nice thick sauce but if you like it hotter just add more spices.



Creamy chicken korma

Chicken drumsticks or thighs
Tub of creme fraiche
1 1/2 teaspoon korma curry spices
1 teaspoon mild curry powder
1/2 red onion, chopped
1/2 red pepper, deseeded and cut into pieces
1 courgette, peeled and cut into chunks
1/2 cup coconut milk
Pinch of salt
1/2 chicken stock cube
2 tablespoons tomato concentrate
Chilli flakes
Olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed

In a bowl pour half a tub of creme fraiche, the korma and the curry powder, the tomato concentrate and a pinch of salt. Mix well. Marinate the chicken in this mixture making sure all the pieces are well covered, I usually let the meat marinate over night but at least a couple of hours before cooking is fine.

Pour a little olive oil into a large frying pan and add the onion, the garlic and the red pepper. Cook for a few minutes to soften and then add the chicken. Cook for a few minutes until it's golden on all sides. Add the marinade, the coconut milk, the courgette, the stock cube and a little boiling water just enough to half cover the chicken. Put the lid on the pan and cook over a low heat for about 20-30 minutes stirring occasionally. Remove the chicken from the pan, transfer the sauce to a deep container such as a measuring jug, for instance, and blend*. Pour this back into the pan, add the meat and cook for a few more minutes before serving with white rice.

Enjoy :-)


Paula


* You don't need to blend the sauce if you don't want to, I did it mainly because I knew my son would complain about the courgette and the red pepper bits and also because I wanted the sauce to be nice and thick.




1 comment:

  1. Frango ou perú são duas carnes que apreciamos cá em casa. Este prato é excelente, eu gosto muito do molho no arroz :)

    ReplyDelete