Tuesday, 22 November 2011

# 150 Making Winter: Sweet chestnuts


To me nothing embodies the spirit of Autumn as chestnuts, roasted or boiled they are delicious and comforting.

I received a parcel from my mum last Saturday and among other things I found a bag full of lovely chestnuts which I boiled as desert for after dinner. If you've never tasted boiled chestnuts you should because they are so good.

First score the skin of the chestnuts with a sharp knife (mind your fingers!). Put them in a pan and cover with water, add a pinch of salt and a generous pinch of ground anise (this is the "secret" ingredient that will make them taste heavenly). Put the lid on and bring to the boil, then let it simmer for 30-40 minutes or until they're cooked through. Drain the water and allow the chestnuts to cool for a few minutes before peeling the skin off.

Enjoy!






Paula