Friday, 4 November 2011

# 144 Fridays recipes: Buttermilk scones


I love scones and over the years have tried many different recipes (with various degrees of success)! I also bake all year round but, to me, scones are an Autumn/Winter treat and I just love to bake them for Sunday tea after a long walk or day out.

These are delicious and you can go from weighing the ingredients, to kneading the dough, baking them and and having them on the table ready to eat in just 20 to 30 minutes. Serve them warm with butter or clotted cream and jam and a pot of tea. Lovely!

This recipe is from the Big Book of Bread by Anne Sheasby.

Buttermilk scones

225g self-raising white flour (I usually use plain flour and add a teaspoon of baking powder)
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
25g butter, diced
150ml buttermilk
Beaten egg or milk to glaze (I sprinkled them with a pinch of cinnamon and sugar instead)

Preheat the oven (gas mark 7) and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.

Sift the flour, salt and baking powder into a bowl, lightly rub the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in enough buttermilk to form a soft dough.

Turn this dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently, then roll out until about 2cm thick. Use a plain or fluted cutter to cut the dough into rounds (to cut the scones in the picture I used my brownies pan divider which allowed me to cut several scones in one go). Place on the baking tray with a little space between them.

Brush the tops with beaten egg or milk or sprinkle a little cinnamon and sugar on top. Bake for about 10 minutes or until well risen and golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool and serve warm or cold.



Enjoy :-)


Note: To the scones above I added a few raisins.


Paula