Friday, 21 October 2011

# 138 Fridays recipes: Spinach, bacon and chorizo pizza with mozzarella



This is one of my favourite pizzas and I've just realised I haven't made it in quite a while now so top on my grocery shopping list for tomorrow is spinach and smoked pork belly.

I usually make my own pizza base following this recipe but if you're short on time you can buy a ready made pizza base and prepare only the topping. If you prefer to make a deep crust pizza base you'll find the instructions here.

Pizza topping

1/2 an onion, finely chopped
Olive oil
A few slices of chorizo
A few cubes of smoked pork belly
Spinach
Mozzarella cheese


Pour a little olive oil into a frying pan, add the chopped onion and let it soften for a couple of minutes. Add the chorizo slices and the cubes of smoked pork belly and cook for 5 minutes or so until they brown slightly. Remove to a plate and set aside. Add the spinach to the frying pan and cook until just wilted. Press the spinach with a potato masher to get rid of most of the water.

Spread the spinach over the pizza base and then the chorizo and the smoked pork belly. Finish with the mozzarella broken into pieces and bake in a pre-heated oven until the cheese melts. Serve with a lettuce salad.

Enjoy :-)


Paula


Note: The recipe given here for the pizza dough makes quite a large pizza base which is good if you have a big family or a healthy appetite but if like us you only have a small slice of pizza then you'll have lots leftover. I don't mind eating pizza from the day before but the base tends to become slightly soggy and it doesn't taste as good. What I do is I divide the dough in 2 portions, one for the pizza base and the other I divide into 2 or 3 buns which are baked at the same time as the pizza. My son loves these little pizza buns and usually saves one to take to school the next day.